A 170 HP, 308 cubic inch, 3-13/16 inch bore and 4-1/2 inch stroke “Hornet” engine powers this 1947 Hudson Pickup. The 1954 “Hornet” replaced the original “Commercial 6” option engine designated by the Vehicle Identification Number. The split carburetor system gives the engine plenty of power with a cruising speed of 50 mph. After the war, the Hudson Company had its share of ups and downs before it merged with Nash Motors in January of 1954, to become known as the American Motors Company.
In 1948 Hudson introduced their strikingly advanced "Step-Down" models with streamlined "Monobuilt" unit-bodies. Passengers "stepped down" into their seats, located within the car's massive perimeter frame rails (a safety feature). A lower center of gravity and wider bodies enabled full six-passenger seating. Buyers could choose between a new 262 cubic-inch six-cylinder engine and the old reliable straight eight. Pent-up postwar demand helped boost sales to over 100,000 for the first time since 1929.
The Hudson Motor Car Company came into existence in 1909 and produced vehicles until 1957. It was created by Howard Coffin, George W. Dunham, and Roy E. Chapin. During most of the years from 1926 to 1947 Hudson produced light pickup trucks and other "commercial vehicles" under various names, depending on the year under the Marques Essex, Dover, Terraplane and, after 1938, Hudson. During World War II all US auto production was halted and every car company produced armaments. As the war ended, Hudson, like other US auto manufacturers, returned to civilian production offering versions of their pre-war 1942 models.
1947 Hudson Pickup